The bedside table is a piece of furniture appreciated both for its practicality and for the aesthetic touch it can bring to a bedroom. On the floor, to hang, embellished with drawers or mini-storage shelves, this companion accessory to the bed accommodates your current reading, your alarm clock, a photo frame or even a reading lamp with style.
- Extension of the bed: To create a beautiful harmonious whole in the bedroom, without false notes, we opt for a bedside table matching the bed. You then have the choice of placing a single piece of furniture on one side of the bed, of placing one on each side or even of betting on bedside tables integrated into your headboard.
- Deco advantage: Do you want a little more daring and originality? Choose a bedside table made from the same materials as the beds or chests of drawers in your home or apartment but with a different design.
- Statement of style: To push originality to the limit, we dare the completely mismatched design bedside table. She frees herself from all codes and leads her life alone. Wood or rattan version, it creates an atmosphere conducive to rest. In steel or metal, it is trendy and easy to maintain.
What height is ideal for his bedside table?
The first question to ask yourself is whether your bedside table will be primarily a decorative accessory or an extra storage space. Depending on the use you want to make of it and your daily habits, you can choose the piece of furniture that suits you and the ideal height at which to place it.
- At a lower height than the bed: The ideal children’s bedside table, but which will also suit older children. The advantage? You keep everything you need close at hand without the risk of dropping your glass of water, or even losing the page of your current book.
- At a height higher than the bed: If you love to read in your bed, there is no longer a shadow of a doubt. A wall-mounted bedside table higher than the bed will allow you to position your bedside lamp above you. You can also put your alarm clock there. No more blinding light from the display that disturbed your sweet nights!
- At the same height as the mattress: Maintain a feeling of harmony and uniformity in your bedroom, especially if you have chosen furniture from the same collection, thanks to a bedside table at the height of your mattress.
Last tip: if the bedroom is really small, don’t hesitate to choose a small bedside table or a suspended bedside table for minimal floor space. Then play on the height with other furniture, such as bedroom chairs.
Choice of materials
You can bet on a bedside table in the same material as the bed or chest of drawers, in an identical or completely mismatched finish. Everything will depend on your personal taste and the atmosphere you want to create in your bedroom.
- Wood: Timeless and elegant, wood is a safe bet because it is ultra-resistant and goes well with all styles. The Scandinavian bedside table, for example, can be available as a two-tone wooden bedside table or a white bedside table. In a bedroom with a more contemporary look, prefer lacquered or high-gloss wood to more classic natural wood.
- Metal: For lovers of industrial-style décor, go for a metal box-style bedside table or a bedside table in black metal or even raw steel elegantly combined with wood.
- Natural materials: If you have decided to choose a piece of furniture full of character in a material different from that of your bed, bet on a rattan or cane bedside table. Ultra trendy, it will give a real touch of exoticism to your bedroom.
Benches: the essential seat in your bedroom
In every room of the house, the bench is an essential decorative element that is both useful and aesthetic. It obviously allows you to sit in the kitchen and in the dining room, but it is more and more common to see it as a support to sit down or for your clothes in your dressing room or your bedroom.
Far from the cold and uncomfortable image of school benches or picnic tables, the bench is certainly convivial and comfortable, in addition to giving a real style to your room.
Our experts reveal all their secrets for choosing the right bench and how to place it in your room for perfect harmony. Follow the leader!
What style of bench to choose?
To choose a bench, you will need to know your style in terms of decoration:
For a rustic style
The benches and end tables adapt to all furnishing styles, whether they are “country” in solid wood to obtain a rather rustic style, or in velvet in a cozy bedroom.
For a baroque style
In a baroque style interior, a padded velvet seat in soft colors rests on arched legs in fine woodwork.
For a vintage style
More retro, a bench with storage is very practical and recalls the Roaring Twenties with brass legs. Paired with a mottled rocking chair, it will look great in the bedroom.
For an industrial style
For an industrial style, choose the mixture of brown wood for the seat and metal in cubic shapes in shades of gray or black for the base.
For a Scandinavian style
To highlight the Scandinavian style of your furniture, choose it in a pastel color for the seat and with flared wooden legs. This minimalist style goes perfectly with bedside tables of the same style on either side of the bed.
For a glamorous style
A glamorous bed bench features rounded arms in a tufted velvet fabric and gleaming metal legs. Dare a bench with a boucle fabric seat at the foot of the bed to make your bedroom unique and hide your box spring.
Find the right location for a bench in the bedroom
Depending on the space available in your room, prefer a small bench for storage, or a larger one if it is mainly used as decorative furniture or seating.
You can place it in several different places in your room:
- at the end of the bed, practical for sitting down and putting down your clothes before going to bed;
- along a window with a view of the garden, for a pleasant reading break;
- in front of a makeup vanity unit to give your bedroom a worldly look;
- near the cupboard or dresser so you can put your laundry down before putting it away and easily prepare your outfit for the day;
The bench: a fashionable piece of furniture in modern interiors
The benefits of a bench are still underestimated in modern interiors, with their reputation for rigid seating and functional storage. Modern benches now surprise with their unconditional aesthetics and put aside the prejudices of yesteryear.